Friday 26 March 2010

carriages, almost claridge's

to celebrate the 53rd year of my dear father's birthday we tried something new. venturing out to knasborough restaurant Carriages brought for me a variety of culinary surprises, on with differing appeals it has to be said. Dressed with washer woman hair, in my favourite thrown-on-if-ever-lost-for-what-to-wear-top after a hard days graft i was more than ready for a meal out which didn't mean scraping the linings of my pockets at the end of the night and considering the prices instead of the food.
for starter, i chose the mouthwatering combination of lambchops coated in cajun flavouring with a delicious mint and cumin yoghurt dressing. as tzatziz is my current favourite thing ever this dish had its obvious appeal, and i was so pleased it in no way disappointed. 2 juicy lamb chops in my belly and i was a happy chappy.
enticed into my main course by the rare opportunity for duck, i took the dressing of kumquats and redcurrents in my stride. i learnt however, there was only so much of this sickly combination ones stridge can wade through. although lovely, i think i got more than my fare share of my kumquat five a day. five a month would be enough for me.
passing on pudding after snacking on a decadent chocolate cake after work whilst watching glee (actually mine and my dads favourite activity between the hours of 5-6 - he just loved the neil diamond cover) i chose a sample of the cheese board. 2 massive errors occured in this decision. one being a very very dodgy scottish cheese which tasted of vineger, and a mustard cheese which, strangely tasted of mustard. definatelylearnt i still hate mustard.
but overall,it was a delightful meal, in a cosy setting of wooden beams and warm red rustic walls. apparently also, when going out with the parents who should fit into that bracket of middle class middle aged alcoholic it was i instead who drank 3/4 of the wine. they are doing nothing to surpress the image they have of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment